first_imgzoom The English Channel ferry operator MyFerryLink is set to resume its operations on the Dover-Calais route past July 9, after the UK Court of Appeal overturned the decision of the UK Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) to ban the company’s owners and operators Eurotunnel and SCOP from operating ferries out of Dover.Back in February, MyFerryLink won a permission from the Court of Appeal to contest the CMA’s 10-year ban.According to CMA’s original ruling, Eurotunnel’s acquisition of SeaFrance back in June 2012 constituted a merger, and not a mere purchase of ships. However, Eurotunnel argued that it ”acquired the assets of the defunct company, SeaFrance, in June 2012 following an open and public process.”The company then subcontracted the operation of the ferries Rodin, Berlioz and Nord-Pas-de-Calais to an independent company, the SCOP SeaFrance, according to a statement issued by the company. ”The decision of the Court of Appeal is very comprehensive, exposing fatal flaws in the CMA’s analysis,”  said MyFerryLink’s CEO Jean-Michel Giguet.”The decision represents a significant victory both for our dedicated employees and for our customers, who will continue to benefit from healthy competition on the short sea. This should now spell the end of the road for the CMA’s (supported always by DFDS) attempts to suppress the MFL business, which has always sought to deliver a high quality and reliable service for its customers.”DFDS Seaways, one of the MyFerryLink’s major competitors on the route said that the decision made by the Court of Appeals ”runs counter to the consistent findings of the UK competition authorities and specialist appeal body since 2012.”MyFerryLink operates up to 24 daily crossings on the Dover-Calais route.last_img read more

Ottis Gibson is to remain with the England squad throughout the Test series against West Indies.While Gibson, the England bowling coach, is expected to be unveiled as South Africa’s new head coach within days – possibly by the end of this week – he will not start his new role until after the end of the third Test, which starts on September 7.Although Gibson is contracted to the ECB until the end of the 2018 season, it is understood that the ECB and CSA have now agreed a compensation package which allows him to leave early.Gisbon and CSA are still negotiating his own contract details, though it is not anticipated that there will any change of heart from either party at this stage.With Gibson expected to have left the ECB ahead of the limited-overs matches against West Indies – there are five ODIs and a T20I scheduled before the end of September – England may need to appoint an interim bowling coach.In the longer-term, the likes of Richard Johnson (currently with Middlesex) and Graeme Welch (currently with Leicestershire) are front-runners for the role. ESPNcricinfo revealed last week that Darren Gough, who recently worked with England Under-19s, could gain some sort of consultancy role working with the white-ball teams. (ESPNCricinfo) Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedGibson set to be named as South Africa coachAugust 11, 2017In “latest news”Ottis Gibson confirmed as South Africa’s head coachAugust 30, 2017In “latest news”Gibson sacked as West Indies Coach with immediate effectAugust 19, 2014In “Sports” read more