78 total views, 2 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis4 Bristol Children’s Hospital charity The Grand Appeal celebrates its 21st anniversary this year and has announced that it has so far raised £40 million.The Grand Appeal was founded in 1995 to raise funds to build a new children’s hospital in Bristol. By 2001, the charity had raised £12 million and the hospital opened its doors. Bristol Children’s Hospital now treats more than 100,000 critically ill children and babies a year, from across the largest geographic area of any children’s hospital in England.The charity has created a short film to celebrate its anniversary and achievements, and developed a list of 21 fundraising ideas to encourage people to help it raise more funds. 2016 also marks the 150th anniversary of the very first Bristol Children’s Hospital, which opened on Royal Fort Road in 1866.Nicola Masters, director, The Grand Appeal, said:“When The Grand Appeal was launched in 1995 we had no idea of the overwhelming support we would receive, and continue to receive, from across Bristol, the South West and South Wales, not least from Nick Park, Peter Lord and David Sproxton of Aardman. We are proud that with the public’s incredible support we have raised £40 million in the 21 years since the charity was founded.” 77 total views, 1 views today Advertisement Tagged with: fundraising South West The Grand Appeal celebrates 21 years and £40 million Melanie May | 19 May 2016 | News AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis4 About Melanie May Melanie May is a journalist and copywriter specialising in writing both for and about the charity and marketing services sectors since 2001. She can be reached via www.thepurplepim.com.
BahrainMiddle East – North Africa RSF_en German spyware company FinFisher searched by public prosecutors Follow the news on Bahrain October 14, 2020 Find out more SyriaThe repression is not letting up after four months of protests. Reporters Without Borders has registered more than 70 abuses against media personnel since the wave of anti-government demonstrations began in March.“This figure is indicative of a government determination to control the media and the danger involved in working as a journalists or simply reporting an item of news,” the press freedom organization said.Reporters Without Borders condemns writer and journalist Mohamed Tahan Jamal’s arrest in the northern city of Aleppo on 20 July during a wave of preventive arrests by the security forces. A member of the League of Arab Writers and Union of Journalists and contributor to the pro-government daily Tishreen, he is one of 28 Aleppo intellectuals to sign the “Aleppo Appeal for the Nation,” a call for political reforms and a peaceful transition that was submitted to the city’s governor and posted on Facebook.Reporters Without Borders has learned that the photographer Khaldun Al-Batal was arrested while covering a peaceful sit-in on 20 July in the old town of Damascus.With UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon’s special adviser for the prevention of genocide, Francis Deng, talking of possible crimes against humanity and the Local Committee for Coordination in Syria referring to several cases of torture , Reporters Without Borders is concerned about the treatment that detained journalists and bloggers are receiving. Saber Darwish, a journalist who was arrested on 15 March and was released nine days later, has said he was subjected to electric shocks while detained, and was stretched on a metal frame called the “German chair”.At least 6 journalists and bloggers are known to be currently detained in Syria. They include:- Abd Al-Majid Tamer and Mahmoud Asem Al-Mohamed, two journalists working for Kurdish websites, who were arrested on 31 May.- Omar Koush, who was arrested at Damascus international airport on 1 May as he returned from a conference in Turkey.- Anas Al-Ma’arawi, a journalist and blogger and founder of the first Arab website specializing in the Android system, who was arrested in a Damascus suburb on 1 July. June 15, 2020 Find out more – Mohamed Nijati Tayara, a writer and member of the Human Rights League, who was arrested at a security checkpoint on 12 March and was initially accused of disseminating false information. A Homs criminal court dropped the charges after the second amnesty of 21 June. His case was then transferred to a Damascus appeal court which has yet to take a decision. His health deteriorated after he began a hunger strike with other detainees in protest against their detention and he has not had access to appropriate treatment. His is allowed to see his wife and lawyer once a week but no one else.The press freedom organization has learned that Abd Al-Hamid Toufik resigned as Al-Jazeera bureau chief in Damascus after the station was forced to suspend its activities in Syria, and Zeina Yazji resigned as an Al-Arabiya presenter on 11 May following pressure from government supporters.JordanChanting “Political reforms do not need oppression of journalists,” 300 people demonstrated in Amman on 22 July in protest against police violence against nine journalists during a demonstration in the capital on 15 July. Tarek Momani, the head of the Jordanian journalists’ union, said he has filed a complaint against the police. Four police officers have been arrested since the incident and an investigation is under way. Speaking on 22 July, King Abdallah condemned the violence against journalists as unwarranted and promising that measures would be taken very soon to assure the protection of journalists.BahrainDuring a news conference at Manama’s Ramada Hotel on 14 July, the journalist Reem Khalifa was violently attacked by government supporters, who accused her of using violence. Like many other journalists, Khalifa is constantly harassed by the regime’s supporters and often gets telephone death threats. She has been a target ever since a news conference by foreign minister Khalid bin Ahmed Al-Khalifa on 17 February at which she expressed outrage at the government’s violent crackdown on the initial demonstrations and talked of a “massacre.” The secretary-general of the Gulf Cooperation Council attended the news conference.EgyptReporters Without Borders regrets that Dina Abd-Al Rahman was fired as a presenter of the Dream TV programme Sabah Dream yesterday following an altercation on the air with a former air force officer, Abd Al-Monem Kato.Many online commentators and activists have expressed their outrage about her dismissal, describing Dream TV owner Ahmed Bahgat, an ally of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces as a businessman opposed to media freedom on his own TV channel. While there is no evidence that the council had a role in her dismissal, the military has taken direct action against journalists on many occasions in recent months. July 26, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Preventive arrests and “German chair” for detainees in Syria March 17, 2021 Find out more – Manaf Al- Zeitoun, who was arrested on 25 March. There has been no news of him since his arrest. to go further Help by sharing this information BahrainMiddle East – North Africa News Tenth anniversary of Bahraini blogger’s arrest Coronavirus “information heroes” – journalism that saves lives Organisation News News Receive email alerts News
RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say Organisation News News to go further United Arab EmiratesMiddle East – North Africa Follow the news on United Arab Emirates RSF_en News News United Arab EmiratesMiddle East – North Africa December 20, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Freelance journalist handcuffed, passport taken, for writing about moustaches June 8, 2021 Find out more April 28, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders today called for the immediate return of the passport that was confiscated from freelance journalist V. M. Sathish when he was briefly arrested in Dubai on 13 December for allegedly libelling a jewellery chain by reporting that it ordered its employees to shave off their beards and moustaches.“It is absolutely essential that Sathish should immediately recover his freedom of movement and that the Dubai police should stop harassing him,” the press freedom organisation said. “It is beyond belief that a journalist can be arrested and prosecuted for such a ridiculous reason.”Sathish, who writes for several English-language news media, was summoned by the Dubai prosecutor’s office on 13 December, interrogated and detained for several hours over a report in the Khaleej Times daily on 22 August that the Alukkas chain of jewellery stores had told its 400 employees they would henceforth all have to be clean-shaven. The managing director of the chain, Joy Alukkas, reacted to the article by bringing a libel action against Sathish.Sathish told Reporters Without Borders he felt “imprisoned” and that his ability to move about freely in the region was hampering his work as a journalist. “To be treated like this, like a criminal by the Dubai police… they put handcuffs on me and jailed me… just for writing about moustaches,” Sathish exclaimed. RSF joins other NGOs in amicus brief in WhatsApp suit against NSO Group Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information December 23, 2020 Find out more
Print Previous articleCriminal damage charge adjourned to SeptemberNext articleMunster crash out to Ulster at Thomond Park admin Advertisement Facebook Email Twitter Linkedin WhatsApp NewsLocal NewsFoynes Hall of Fame honours Dr Tony RyanBy admin – April 8, 2012 765 “An Irish man who made a singular and significant contribution to the development of aviation both in Ireland and around the world.”A LEADING contributor to the aviation industry is the first recipient of an award established by the Foynes Flying Boat Museum. The late Dr. Tony Ryan, founder of Guinness Peat Aviation and Ryanair was named as the first to receive the honour of the inaugural National Aviation Award at a reception attended by Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Leo Varadkar, local politicians and members of the Ryan family.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Dr Ryan’s nephew Simon Ryan, who himself is a Ryanair pilot, said he was “delighted to receive the award” on behalf of his uncle.“He is a deserved recipient who spent his entire career in aviation and built up two of the biggest companies in the world”.It was revealed that Dr Ryan wrote one of the first cheques to help get the Foynes Flying Boat Museum up and running in 1988.Chairman of the Board at the museum, Brian Cullen, said it was fitting that the first such award should go posthumously to Dr Ryan, an Irish man who had made a singular and significant contribution to the development of aviation both in Ireland and around the world.“Apart from being our first financial supporter, he established GPA in Shannon from which many other leasing companies have sprung, and he also founded Ryanair”, Mr. Cullen added.The award will take the form of an artwork, to be selected from entries in a competition that the Flying Boat Boat Museum is running in association with the Visual Arts Society of Ireland, to find an artefact that most suitably reflects the spirit, character and success of Dr Ryan.A winner will be selected by the Board of the museum and the successful artwork will be commissioned for display in the museum’s Hall of Fame.Minister Varadkar and other representatives were given a guided tour of the museum which includes artefacts from the early days of Foynes Airport, a children’s area with flight simulators and a hologram room where the story of how the first Irish coffee was invented is told. Revealing that this was his first visit to the museum, the minister said he was very impressed and had enjoyed the story of how the first Irish Coffee came into being.“It’s a real privilege to be ins such a historic location, in order to pay tribute to the late Dr Tony Ryan who has made such an enormous contribution in terms of both tourism and transport” said Minister Varadkar.
ABCNews.com(SAN ANTONIO) — Floor-to-ceiling tanks filled with exotic marine animals greeted stunned police officers who stepped into the house of a man arrested for stealing a shark from a local aquarium — using a stroller.“His whole house is full of tanks. Not what you would consider regular fish tanks, I’m talking floor-to-ceiling tanks. One was a 6,000 gallon tank, one was a 2,000 gallon tank,” said Leon Valley Police Chief Joseph Salvaggio. “It was just a lot of fish.”The man, along with two others, apparently tried to disguise the shark as a baby to remove it from the aquarium. The theft was caught on video, which showed the animal being scooped up from an open tank, taken to a restroom and packed inside a wet blanket before being stuffed into a stroller.The three people confessed to stealing the horn shark after the video of their bizarre theft was posted by the San Antonio Aquarium.The man who reached into the tank and pulled out the shark, as seen in the video, was arrested. Police said he is a plumber with a penchant for all things piscine.“He’s just a fish guy,” Salvaggio told ABC News.The two others involved were his wife and his neighbor, both of whom were charged Tuesday with felony theft for an amount anywhere between $2,500 and $30,000.Law enforcement is working with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to investigate where the other marine animals in the man’s home tanks came from.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Comments are closed. Bad management causes more people to lose their temper at work than anyother reason, according to a survey by online careers site Monster. Bad management came top with 39 per cent of the vote among almost 12,000respondents across Europe, Lack of career opportunity was the second reason given for getting hot underthe collar (30 per cent). Almost a quarter report that feeling under-valued atwork makes them angry, and 7 per cent pinpoint excess workload. www.monster.com Previous Article Next Article Poor managers provoke conflictOn 22 Jul 2003 in Personnel Today Related posts:No related photos.
The Coral: Secret Kiss To be released You should admire The Coral. For one thing, they’re from Liverpool. It must’ve taken time to nick that many guitars and build a drum kit from purloined hubcaps. They’ve also managed to persuade the Great British Public that they’re possessed of an eclectic musical genius by being slightly wacky and spouting the brand of Scouse mysticism that made George Harrison so annoying. This sounds a bit like Jerry and the Pacemakers playing the music from a French spy film. For a Liverpudlian band they ain’t bad.ARCHIVE: 0th Week MT2003
IndianaLocalNews Previous articleGroup clears step to advance ballot drive to curb lobbyingNext articleNewman confirms he suffered head injury in Daytona 500 crash Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. Google+ Facebook WhatsApp Pinterest Pinterest Twitter Twitter (Photo supplied/LaPorte County Jail) A 48-year-old man is locked up in the LaPorte County Sheriff’s Office on suspicion of child molestation.Deputies were called to a home in Noble Township on February 7 for an unwanted guest.When they arrived, they were told David Powers the 2nd committed a sex offense.The case was presented to the LaPorte County Prosecuting Attorney, according to 95.3 MNC’s reporting partners at ABC 57.Probable cause was found and members of the Fugitive Apprehension Street Team located and arrested Powers.He’s been charged with four counts of child molesting. Facebook Man, 48, jailed in LaPorte County on suspicion of child molestation Google+ By Jon Zimney – February 23, 2020 0 476 WhatsApp