first_img RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say Organisation News News to go further United Arab EmiratesMiddle East – North Africa Follow the news on United Arab Emirates RSF_en News Newscenter_img United Arab EmiratesMiddle East – North Africa December 20, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Freelance journalist handcuffed, passport taken, for writing about moustaches June 8, 2021 Find out more April 28, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders today called for the immediate return of the passport that was confiscated from freelance journalist V. M. Sathish when he was briefly arrested in Dubai on 13 December for allegedly libelling a jewellery chain by reporting that it ordered its employees to shave off their beards and moustaches.“It is absolutely essential that Sathish should immediately recover his freedom of movement and that the Dubai police should stop harassing him,” the press freedom organisation said. “It is beyond belief that a journalist can be arrested and prosecuted for such a ridiculous reason.”Sathish, who writes for several English-language news media, was summoned by the Dubai prosecutor’s office on 13 December, interrogated and detained for several hours over a report in the Khaleej Times daily on 22 August that the Alukkas chain of jewellery stores had told its 400 employees they would henceforth all have to be clean-shaven. The managing director of the chain, Joy Alukkas, reacted to the article by bringing a libel action against Sathish.Sathish told Reporters Without Borders he felt “imprisoned” and that his ability to move about freely in the region was hampering his work as a journalist. “To be treated like this, like a criminal by the Dubai police… they put handcuffs on me and jailed me… just for writing about moustaches,” Sathish exclaimed. RSF joins other NGOs in amicus brief in WhatsApp suit against NSO Group Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information December 23, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

first_imgWhatsApp Previous articleLimerick venues announce cancellations and closuresNext articleRiverfest postponed and arts venues cancel Cian Reinhardthttp://www.limerickpost.ieJournalist & Digital Media Coordinator. Covering human interest and social issues as well as creating digital content to accompany news stories. [email protected] Advertisement Facebook Linkedin Printcenter_img Twitter Email 07/05/18 REPRO FREEThe skies of Limerick will transformed into an explosion of colours during the Riverfest fireworks extravaganza on the Shannon.Riverfest 2018 drew over an estimated 100,000 people to the banks of the Shannon for the biggest celebration yet with this yearÕs line-up bursting with big-name acts and unmissable events.The festival is a carnival of activity and variety, with thrilling new attractions including the first ever visit to Ireland by the Seabreacher Shark Ð a dare-devil aquatic spectacle in an 18ft Ôshark-craftÕ that can travel at speeds of up to 80km per hour.Picture Sean Curtin True Media.Limerick City and County Council regretfully announced today that Riverfest 2020 has been postponed, in the interests of public health.High level meetings have been taking place in the council around Riverfest 2020 since the cancellation of the Limerick St Patrick’s Day Parade and Limerick International Band Championship due to concerns about COVID-19 (Coronavirus) on Monday last (09 March 2020).Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Last year more than 120,000 people enjoyed the city’s biggest festival, the majority of them in the Riverfestival Village based around Arthur’s Quay Park.Due to the nature of Riverfest, in which large numbers gather in Limerick city centre to celebrate and enjoy themselves, Limerick City and County Council organisers have recommended that it now be postponed, meaning it will not take place on the May Bank Holiday weekend this year.Mayor of the City and County of Limerick Mayor Cllr Michael Sheahan said: “It is disappointing that we have to postpone Riverfest but it is the right decision to make. What is most important now is the health of the people of Limerick, especially those who are elderly and vulnerable to infection. We will look at the possibility of rescheduling the festival later in the year but again this is dependent on COVID-19.”Chief Executive of Limerick City and County Council Dr Pat Daly said: “The decision to postpone Riverfest 2020 is being done on the most up-to-date public health advice from the Department of Health and an overriding desire not to put the collective health of the people of Limerick and visitors to Limerick at unnecessary risk.”“Our Management Team is meeting daily to discuss the COVID-19 pandemic and we are following all guidelines and advice given to us by the Department of Health. Everyone should be following this advice.”“Riverfest, like the St Patrick’s Festival, is an important event for the economy of Limerick from a business, societal and tourist point of view, but the health of the people of Limerick and the nation is paramount at this particular time.”A date for a re-scheduled Riverfest for later in the year will be announced in due course and is dependent on the ongoing COVID-19 situation. NewsCommunityRiverfest 2020 to be postponed due to ongoing concerns about COVID-19By Cian Reinhardt – March 12, 2020 229 last_img read more