first_imgMUNICH (AP) — Sadio Mane scored twice to send Juergen Klopp’s Liverpool into the Champions League quarterfinals with a 3-1 win at Bayern Munich in the second leg of the last 16 on Wednesday.Mane opened the scoring with a delicate finish in the 26th minute and added Liverpool’s third in the 84th by heading in Mohamed Salah’s cross as Bayern desperately sought a way back into the game.Serge Gnabry had forced an own goal from Joel Matip to equalize in the 39th, but Liverpool went ahead again through a corner when Virgil Van Dijk met James Milner’s cross with a thumping header in the 69th.“Scoring three is really difficult. Actually, we scored four because we scored the other one as well. It’s a big step for us,” said Klopp, whose team lost in the final to Real Madrid last year. “We really are back in the landscape of international football.”Liverpool midfielder Sadio Mane, front right, celebrates with teammates after scoring his side’s third goal during the Champions League round of 16 second leg soccer match between Bayern Munich and Liverpool at the Allianz Arena, in Munich, Germany, Wednesday, March 13, 2019. (AP Photo/Kerstin Joensson)After a scoreless first leg, Liverpool’s win puts four English teams into the quarterfinals for the first time since 2009. Manchester United, Tottenham and Manchester City also advanced.It’s the first time since 2006 that there will be no German team among the last eight. For the first time since winning the tournament in 2013, Bayern’s campaign wasn’t ended by a Spanish team.“We deserved to lose today. Liverpool was the better team in two games. Today we were shown our limits,” said Bayern coach Niko Kovac, whose side claimed the Bundesliga lead at the weekend.Liverpool defender Virgil Van Dijk, right, celebrates after scoring his side’s second goal during the Champions League round of 16 second leg soccer match between Bayern Munich and Liverpool in Munich, Germany, Wednesday, March 13, 2019. (AP Photo/Matthias Schrader)Klopp, who previously coached Bayern’s old foe Borussia Dortmund, led the away fans’ celebrations after the final whistle.“I’m proud and happy, because this club deserves awareness again,” said Klopp, who also lost the final to Bayern with Dortmund in 2013 but said past disappointments played no role.“It’s not sweeter for me because it’s Bayern. I want to win for Liverpool and not to beat Bayern,” Klopp said. “It’s just a good moment for Liverpool and let’s enjoy that.”Also Wednesday, Barcelona defeated Lyon 5-1 at home to progress.Liverpool defender Virgil Van Dijk, right, scores his side’s second goal during the Champions League round of 16 second leg soccer match between Bayern Munich and Liverpool in Munich, Germany, Wednesday, March 13, 2019. (AP Photo/Matthias Schrader)Bayern had lost only one of its previous 18 competitive games and was confident of finishing the job against Liverpool after racking up 12 goals in the three games it played since their draw.But the side failed to really threaten Alisson Becker’s goal, even after Liverpool lost its captain Jordan Henderson with an apparent ankle injury in the 13th. Fabinho came on to replace the midfielder.Liverpool started slowly until a mistake from Manuel Neuer in his 100th game in the competition led to the opener. The Bayern ‘keeper rushed out of goal and Mane turned to elude him and defender Rafinha before chipping the ball into the unguarded net.Matip’s own goal got Bayern back in the game, but this time there was no heroic comeback. Bayern came from two goals down against Juventus at the same stage to win 4-2 three years ago.Lewandowski went close but remained frustrated as he went scoreless for the seventh successive Champions League knockout game.Salah, five games without a goal since the draw with Bayern, also finished without scoring, but he did provide the cross for Mane to seal it.By: Ciaran Fahey, Associated PressTweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img read more

first_imgShare on Pinterest Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate – sent direct to you Children Topics news Victims of Barry Bennell have said they are “bitterly disappointed” after Crewe Alexandra rejected calls for an independent inquiry into child sexual abuse by its former youth football coach.The club said the police had found no evidence that anyone at Crewe knew about Bennell’s offending and it saw no need to “duplicate the thorough inquiries” by launching another investigation.The statement, which followed weeks of questions for the club after Bennell’s conviction, was immediately criticised as “deeply disappointing” by the former players he abused.The former Crewe and Manchester City coach was jailed for 30 years last month after being found guilty of 43 charges of child sexual abuse throughout the 1980s. Another 86 former players have come forward to make abuse complaints against him.In its statement, Crewe again insisted that Bennell, 64, was sacked in 1992 as its youth coach for “footballing reasons”. It has been reported that Bennell was fired days after parents confronted him about his behaviour, and that rumours about the coach were widespread at the time.But the club said on Friday that police “found no evidence that Mr Bennell was dismissed because of any complaints for sexual assault being made against him at that time”.After the “extremely thorough” Cheshire police investigation, Crewe said it would no longer be launching an independent review, despite promising one in November 2016 when the allegations were first exposed by the Guardian. Barry Bennell Rape and sexual assault Crime Child protection Share on LinkedIncenter_img Share on Twitter Crewe Alexandra Share on Facebook Share on Messenger Read more Share on WhatsApp Andy Woodward, whose interview in the Guardian emboldened other players to come forward, said: “This statement speaks for itself. Once again the victims come last, after the reputation of the club.“What has happened has ruined mine, my family and many, many others that played for the club as vulnerable children. I’m bitterly disappointed with their response, but I’d rather focus my energy on driving change, so no club can let this happen again, than dwell on the past.“Crewe had a moral responsibility to investigate their own failings. Instead they seem to want to bury their heads in the sand and, if nothing else, at least people can now see the way the club operate. “As far as I know, they have not asked to speak to any of the former players from this harrowing court case to learn about how this scandal happened and what could have been done to prevent it.“A police investigation, looking for possible crimes, is entirely different to an independent inquiry being set up to investigate what went wrong and make sure it never happens again. For the many victims, this is just another kick in the teeth but, as shocking as it is, nothing should really surprise us about Crewe any more.”The Offside Trust, a charity supporting survivors of child sexual abuse in sport, repeated its call for Crewe to agree to independent scrutiny and said the people who were abused “can only move forward if all the facts are known”.“For lessons to be learned, there needs to be full transparency from all clubs where abuse took place. As an organisation created by survivors, for survivors, we believe that these clubs have a moral responsibility to open their doors to a truly independent investigation. If clubs have nothing to hide, they should not shirk from this duty.”The charity said the healing process was made more difficult when clubs and individuals “refuse to properly address the past and fail to demonstrate any empathy and remorse. We sincerely hope that clubs will acknowledge this and agree to appropriate independent scrutiny.”Crewe’s 925-word statement made no reference to the allegation that it continued to employ Bennell for a number of years, despite the club’s chairman at the time being told by police to “move him on” in the late 1980s, following a specific complaint.Nor did the statement comment on allegations, reported by the BBC, that a former Crewe employee said he was asked to help delete pornography from the home computer of the then manager Dario Gradi.The allegation was made in a statement to the NSPCC in 2011. Gradi, whose association with Crewe goes back to 1983 and includes more than 1,200 games as manager, has denied any wrongdoing. The club said: “Finally, and above all else, the club wishes to make it absolutely clear that it sincerely regrets the terrible crimes committed by Mr Bennell upon young footballers over a significant number of years. The club also wishes to reiterate its deepest sympathies to the victims and survivors of Barry Bennell.” Share via Email Reuse this contentlast_img read more