He said the man was one of nine active cases who had been held in quarantine since they were repatriated from India on July 1.Before then, Fiji had enjoyed a spell of four weeks virus-free, after the 18 cases it had previously recorded all recovered.Fiji and other Pacific island nations were initially seen as among the world’s most vulnerable to the virus because of under-resourced health infrastructure and high rates of health conditions such as diabetes and heart disease.However, nations in the region acted swiftly and made the costly decision to seal borders, shutting down the tourism trade that powered their economies in order to protect their populations. Fiji announced its first coronavirus death Friday, but health officials assured people in the Pacific island nation that it was not the precursor to a major outbreak.Health Minister Ifereimi Waqainabete said the victim was a 66-year-old man who tested positive after returning from India, where he had undergone surgery for a long-standing heart condition.”Sadly, despite the best efforts of our health-care professionals, this gentleman passed away yesterday in the isolation ward at Lautoka hospital due to complications from COVID-19,” Waqainabete told reporters. Read also: ‘Answered prayers’: Fiji declares itself coronavirus freeWaqainabete said the dead man, and the other eight cases among the group from India, had “zero interaction” with Fiji’s general population.”In many other countries, news of the first death due to the virus has signaled an intensifying of the outbreak,” he said.”This is not the case for Fiji. The virus is not present in Fijian communities, nor is there any risk of infection among the Fijian public.”Waqainabete offered condolences to the man’s family.”This is an enormous tragedy for them, and I can tell you that our staff at the ministry of health and medical services are devastated by this loss as well,” he said.He said Fiji remained committed to repatriating its citizens and had confidence in measures enacted to isolate any cases among returnees.Topics :
Former Nigeria international Victor Moses has been allocated his preferred shirt number 11 at Fenerbahce ahead of the 2019-2020 season.In the second half of last season, the winger wore the number 8 kit following his 18-month loan move from Chelsea.Moses who has switched shirt number from 8 to 11 and wore the number in pre-season games against Boluspor, Bursaspor, Wolfsburg, Hertha BSC and Bayern Munich. Turkey international Mehmet Ekici wore the number 11 on the back of his shirt for Fernabahce last season but he is now in the possession of the number 8 kit worn by the Nigerian last season.Although Moses is predominantly a right-winger, his preferred jersey number is 11 and he played with the number during his time with the Super Eagles, Crystal Palace and Wigan Athletic.The 28-year-old played with the number 12 at Liverpool, wore the number 13 and 20 jerseys at Stoke City and West Ham respectively.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Ghana defender Isaac Vorsah has arrived in Austria to complete a move to Austria giants Red Bull Salzburg.Red Bull Salzburg have beaten competition from three other clubs and have agreed to pay US$6m for the Ghanaian defender.The 24-year-old will undergo a medical later in the day before completing the big-money move from German side Hoffenheim.“If successful in the medical, he (Vorsah) will be sold,” Hoffenheim coach Markus Babbel said.Newly-promoted English Reading and Hamburg were among the clubs interested in the centre-back but Salzburg had the biggest offer on the table.The defender will see his wages triple from what he received at the German Bundesliga club which seems to have swayed him to leave.The move will end his four-year stay with Hoffenheim. Salzburg sporting director Ralf Rangnick has been a major supporter of Vorsah and was the coach of the Ghanaian at Hoffenheim.Vorsah played 110 matches for Hoffenheim and scored four goals.The 6ft 5in Ghanaian, 24, can also play defensive midfield where he excelled in some matches for Hoffenheim.
Rites recall Christmas slaying victims Hermosa Beach man sets fire to house, shoots himself over money woes Everyone likes to talk about how tough a sports market L.A. can be, about how teams either win here or wither here.While that remains true, the Clippers also face the perhaps impossible task of trying to be relevant while reinventing themselves minus their most recognizable player and doing so in the shadow of the Lakers’ exploding popularity.In other words, same old Clippers, right?Not exactly. There’s more, which is to say, there’s less, potentially. The Clippers might not be very good anymore, either. They certainly aren’t expected to be as good as they were the past six seasons.The Westgate SuperBook in Las Vegas put the over/under for Clippers victories at 43.5, placing them just behind Denver and tied with Miami.That total would have them finishing seventh in the Western Conference and, based on the Westgate’s complete forecast, opening the playoffs against – Paul and the Rockets.OK, so that Clippers story would be tremendously relevant. Then again, ESPN just projected that, if things don’t go well for the Clippers, they’ll miss the playoffs altogether, for the first time since 2010-11, the season before Paul arrived.In a recent interview with the Los Angeles Times, owner Steve Ballmer acknowledged his team might stumble backward, a remarkably somber outlook for a man whose energy is usually as positive as it is pronounced.“I don’t know if we’re going to be worse than we were last year,” Ballmer said. “I don’t know that. … We’re such a different team. … We’ll see whether we’re different good or not.”We’ll see eventually – but perhaps not for a while. With a roster that includes nine new players, what the Clippers really need is time together, time to meld, time to create chemistry.Instead, too many of them arrived here Tuesday with time to kill, Danilo Gallinari, Austin Rivers and Sam Dekker each sidelined by injury.Then Patrick Beverley was ruled out for the reminder of the preseason because of a knee problem, and the Clippers, as a franchise, were left limping.Doc Rivers admitted he didn’t know which knee is hurting Beverley, but why does that matter?The reality is the Clippers’ new guard is one healthy knee short, and his team will now have to suffer right along with him.“I jokingly said before camp the one thing you don’t want to have is injuries to key guys in training camp,” Rivers said. “It’s not a joke anymore.”The absences almost certainly will slow the Clippers’ growth and impede the start to their season, one during which they are committed to playing at a faster pace and with increased defensive intensity.Given those goals, this probably isn’t the best place to mention that, in their most recent exhibition, the Clippers surrendered 134 points.True, nobody who really matters played as much as half that game. But, still, when you’re trying to rebuild who you are, every chance to establish a foundation is important.The Clippers played to 100 percent capacity at Staples Center last season, this team in recent years not struggling to fill its downtown home. That’s not the same, however, as generating a buzz beyond those arena walls.Rivers equated the loss of Paul to Tim Duncan retiring from the Spurs, a development that greatly altered San Antonio’s appearance.The difference here is Paul departed not at the end of his career but with plenty of basketball still to give, the Clippers greatly altered well below the surface, as well.“When you have a prominent player who leaves your team, your team’s different,” Rivers said. “There’s different leadership, different everything.”With the Clippers and their franchise history, the difference also is similar, this team once again playing from behind, trying to come back despite having never left, trying to be noticed in a place where there’s just so much to notice. Prep-JC Roundup: El Camino baseball team sweeps Fullerton Condors find rougher going in ’08 LOS ANGELES — They gathered at Galen Center on Tuesday to practice for the public, Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan and the rest under the direction of Doc Rivers.Uh, wait a second. Blake? And D.J.? And Doc?You mean … the Clippers?Related Articles Woman finds beloved dog dead in the oven They’re still here, even if it feels like Chris Paul hijacked the franchise when he left for Houston.They’re still here, even though they conducted training camp in Hawaii, 2,500 miles away, an entire team – appropriately enough – cast off to a remote island.They’re still here, even if the Lakers are again the local NBA entrant attracting all the attention, LaVar Ball easily supplanting Rivers as the most famous basketball dad in the Southland.The Clippers are still here, and they went out and proved it by staging a workout open to their fans.The event also was open to anyone who might have forgotten this team existed in the clamor surrounding the Dodgers and the Rams and whatever team the Chargers are playing. Yes, the Clippers! They’re still here, folks, one of the old standbys in a market now bloated with teams and teeming with stories. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
Raymond Schalk has 50 gallons of blood someplace else.by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow â€” Here’s a feat not easily accomplished. Raymond Schalk of Wellington has reached the 50 gallons of donating blood mark to the American Red Cross.That is 400 donations over his lifetime.Consider this: You can’t donate blood until you are 18 and can only donate five to six times per year when you are healthy. Schalk is now in his 90s.Congratulations to Schalk! Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments (4) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. -1 Vote up Vote down JustMe · 343 weeks ago I believe Mr. Bauler (retired WHS teacher) is another one that has given a LOT. Report Reply 0 replies · active 343 weeks ago +2 Vote up Vote down Carolyn Heasty · 343 weeks ago Great dedication Raymond. Thank you for your donations. Report Reply 0 replies · active 343 weeks ago +1 Vote up Vote down Karen Rowe · 342 weeks ago Good job Raymond! You continue to show others what servant minisrty is. Report Reply 0 replies · active 342 weeks ago +1 Vote up Vote down Karen Rowe · 342 weeks ago Good job Raymond! You continue to show others what servant minisrty is. Report Reply 0 replies · active 342 weeks ago Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments