first_img Trail Blazers beat Grizzlies in play-in, earn first-round series with the Lakers One of the role players from a previous Lakers title team could be making his way back to Los Angeles if the front office gets its way.An ESPN report Sunday indicated that the Lakers are looking to acquire veteran forward Trevor Ariza from the Phoenix Suns, and could include guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope as part of the deal.The report indicates that the Lakers, who would not be able to deal for Ariza until Dec. 15, when players on one-year deals are eligible to be moved. Both Ariza ($15 million) and Caldwell-Pope ($12 million) signed one-year deals this summer with their respective teams.For the Lakers, Ariza, 33, would bring size as a 6-foot-8 wing and defensive stopping prowess. It would represent a push to build a title-contender this year as opposed to the patient approach the franchise has pushed for the last few months. How athletes protesting the national anthem has evolved over 17 years Trail Blazers, Grizzlies advance to NBA play-in game; Suns, Spurs see playoff dreams dashed Caldwell-Pope, 25, quickly dropped out of the starting lineup this season, and his production overall has dropped coming off the bench. He’s averaging 8.5 points per game and 2.3 rebounds per game.A potential deal with Ariza and Caldwell-Pope has entangled power brokers at play: Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka was Ariza’s agent before assuming his post in the front office. Phoenix general manager James Jones is a long time friend and teammate of LeBron James, and bought out Chandler just 10 games into the season for the Lakers to scoop up in November. Caldwell-Pope’s agent Rich Paul is also James’ agent, and he could have a large say in whether Caldwell-Pope exercises his veto power on a trade.ESPN reported that Caldwell-Pope and Paul would be open to a deal that could increase Caldwell-Pope’s role and aid him in getting signed this summer in free agency. Lakers practice early hoping to answer all questions Lakers, Clippers schedules set for first round of NBA playoffs AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersAriza, from Westchester High and UCLA, was a key piece of last year’s Houston Rockets as a three-and-D specialist, and he could bring needed length on the wings. The Lakers often play Caldwell-Pope and Josh Hart together in undersized lineups. He’s also a veteran of a championship-winning team on the Lakers in 2009, and is of the same generation as veterans LeBron James and Tyson Chandler (who was his Suns teammate at the start of the season).With the last-place Suns dropping off in the West, Ariza is averaging 9.7 points, 5.4 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game as well as 1.3 steals.Related Articles Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

first_img Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — Perhaps the No. 1 most joyful thing about Oxford’s High School baseball team’s entry into the 2015 Class 2A-A State Tournament in Great Bend is it came so unexpectedly.Oxford was 8-11 and the fourth seed going into the Central-Burden regional tournament. Then they knocked out West Elk in a hard-fought battle. The Wildcats then stunned the world by knocking off 18-2 Udall before beating Cedar Vale-Dexter in the championship game.Consider this, Oxford is 11-11 and has as many as six freshmen and two sophomores at once. And they are going back to the state tournament for the first time since 2006.Now Oxford is set to play in the state tournament on Thursday. Here are 10 things to know about the Oxford Wildcat baseball team and the tournament ahead. Just a note, Sumner Newscow will be providing live tweets of the first round contest.1. The who, what, where’s of state tournament ahead. Oxford is scheduled to play Moscow in the first round of the single elimination tournament at Great Bend Sports Complex. Originally, that game was set for 6:30 p.m.  But because of the stormy weather Kansas has had lately, KSHSAA officials are taking no chances. The KSHSAA sent out an e-mail stating that each game will start approximately 30 minutes after the previous game.  So it might behoove the Wildcat fans to get there earlier than 6:30. A baseball game lasts about 90 minutes and the first game starts at 11 a.m.The tournament is single elimination. If Oxford wins then it will play after the 10 a.m. semifinal game against the winner of Medicine Lodge (19-4) vs. Olathe Heritage Christian Academy (10-13). The full bracket is here.2. Thursday’s weather forecast in Great Bend. Like the rainy weather has been cooperative anytime this month. Tomorrow, Great Bend is predicted to have 40 percent chance of rain. On Friday, the likelihood of rain increases to 60 percent. Keep an umbrella handy, and don’t be surprised that your trip to Great Bend will require some waiting time.3. So where is Moscow? Moscow comes into the tournament at 17-5 as the third seed. It is located in southwest Kansas between Hugoton and Satanta — or north of Liberal, or in no man’s land. Moscow won the Syracuse Regional just east of the Kansas-Colorado state line which included Elkhart, Loti-Wichita County, Satanta and Syracuse.4. The scouting report.Oxford head baseball coach Kyle Green said Moscow is senior loaded with a lefty pitcher by the name of Tad Stuckey.“He’s got a decent fastball but from what I’ve been told his curve is a plus,” Green said.Offensively, Moscow gets most of its run production from Stuckey, and second baseman Alexis Manriquez, both seniors. Also, freshman Jalen Shaddix had six RBIs in the regional final.5. What Oxford needs to do to win.Continue to play the small ball better than the others. Interestingly, Oxford goes into the state tournament with no home runs and one triple this season. But they play smart on bases, much like the Kansas City Royals.“We have to keep the same formula that led us on this run,” Green said. “Our pitchers have to pound the zone, be efficient, play error free baseball and get some timely hitting.“Do the ordinary things well and the baseball gods will take care of us.”6. The Wildkittens? As mentioned above, the Wildcats are relatively young with two senior starters and the rest being underclassmen.“The best line I heard from Oggie Shimkus is we are like the Oxford ‘Wildkittens,” Green said. “These kids have handed the pressure so well. They are unique.”7. Oxford has two seniors – but they are good. Shimkus is a senior who has played a ton of baseball. He has the team’s highest on-base-percentage of .459 with a .333 batting average. Derek Williams has a .214 batting average and his OBP is .321.8. And then there is that youth.The two sophomores Oxford starts have played a bunch in the summer. Dylan Reuter has played on various summer teams and started last year. Grant Smith also started last year and has played a pile of summer ball.“All of the freshman have played the bulk of their summer careers for Kenny Thomas and have had success,” Green said. “I was worried about the pressure factor going into the Udall and Cedar Vale-Dexter games in region. But all of those kids have been in big games throughout their careers. It was just another game to them.”9. The traveling Oxford team…With the Oxford field being under water, the Wildcats have been all over the place practicing. On Monday, they were at the Armory in Wellington. Tuesday they practiced at the Hafner Center at Cowley County Community College.“They are just excited to now be part of the Oxford baseball tradition, now that they’ve gotten back to state,” Green said. “This is our ninth trip to state if you count state tournament from the late 1950s and early 1960s. But this is the first time since 2006. We are glad to be back.”10. Season statistics of Oxford’s team…The full batting and pitching stats can be found here: Oxford 2015 season statistics up to state tournamentFollow us on Twitter.last_img read more