first_imgRory McIlroy is recovering well from the ankle injury which has prevented him from defending his Open title this week, although no date has been set for his return. Press Association McIlroy ruptured an ankle ligament playing football with friends on July 4 and announced four days later he would not compete at St Andrews as he took a “long-term” view of the injury. Ryder Cup captain Darren Clarke suggested that meant McIlroy would not return until “early next year” as he accepted an award on his fellow Northern Irishman’s behalf at the Old Course on Tuesday. center_img But it is understood Clarke’s comment was meant as a joke and a spokesman for McIlroy told Press Association Sport: “There was no basis for Darren’s comments. Rory’s rehabilitation is progressing well but his return date is not yet known.” McIlroy, who could be unable to defend the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational on August 6 and the US PGA Championship the following week at Whistling Straits, will be replaced as world number one if Masters and US Open champion Jordan Spieth succeeds him as Open champion on Sunday. last_img read more

first_imgA woman was arrested for leaving a $5,000 tip at a Clearwater restaurant on her boyfriend’s credit card following an argument.Serina Wolfe, 24, was reportedly displeased with her boyfriend Michael Crane after he refused to buy her a plane ticket back home to New York, and a waitress of the Clear Sky Cafe reaped the benefits.Police say Crane put a hold on his credit card, but when he removed it, Wolfe made a $5,055.37 purchase at the Clear Sky Cafe.The cafe was notified about the fraudulent purchase but said the waitress had already been paid for the amount of the tip.Wolfe was arrested Monday on a $1,000 bond.As of July 3, she remains behind bars and is awaiting trial.last_img

first_img1 Aug 2013 Harriet wins marathon play-off for U15 crown Shropshire’s Harriet Allsebrook survived a birdie blitz and a marathon play-off to win the English U15 girls’ open championship at Tiverton, Devon.She produced her own birdie on the fifth extra hole to end the spirited challenge of Warwickshire’s Victoria Mallett, who had come from seven shots behind to force the play-off.“I managed to hole a 3ft putt,” said Harriet, 14, from Shifnal (image © Leaderboard Photography).“My legs were like jelly – it was awful. I’m glad it’s over!” On the previous hole, she’d sunk a testing eight-footer to stay in the play-off.Harriet started today with a two-stroke lead and, after scoring one-under 73 in the third round, she was five shots clear of her closest challenger, Annabel Bailey of Notts Ladies. At that stage she was seven ahead of her playing partner, Victoria Mallett of Sutton Coldfield Ladies’.With nine holes left to play Harriet was still five clear – but it was then that Victoria began her charge. She had a blistering back nine of three-under par, while Harriet was two-over – and both players were tied on three-over par after 72 holes.That was something of a surprise for Harriet, who revealed: “I didn’t know what her score was, I hadn’t a clue because I was concentrating so hard on my game. Then I found out it was a play-off, it was a bit of a disappointment because I’d had a five-shot lead, but I won, so it was all right.“When I looked at the card I realised she’d played really, really well to get back, she was awesome.”Harriet, the new Shropshire girls’ champion, came in to the event aiming for a top five finish. “I played in it for the first time last year and didn’t make the cut, but it was a good experience. This year I knew I was on form so I wanted to finish in the top five – and I’ve actually won, so I’m very happy!”Final leading scoresPar 74 CSS 74 74 74 74299 Harriet Allsebrook (Shifnal) 75 72 73 79; Victoria Mallett (Sutton Coldfield Ladies’) 77 72 78 72 Allsebrook won at the 5th play-off hole301 Annabel Bailey (Notts Ladies’) 77 75 73 76302 Emily Price (Cleobury Mortimer) 76 77 73 76303 Samantha Fuller (Roehampton) 72 78 75 78305 Mollie Lawrence (Rochester & Cobham Park) 79 78 74 74306 Olivia Hamilton (Cleckheaton & District) 75 80 77 74last_img read more

first_imgIn this Friday, Aug. 8, 2014 photograph, Tony Stewart stands in the garage area after a practice session for Sunday’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series auto race at Watkins Glen International, in Watkins Glen N.Y. (AP Photo/Derik Hamilton)WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. (AP) — Tony Stewart pulled out of the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen Sunday, 12 hours after the three-time champion struck and killed a sprint car driver who had climbed from his car and was on the darkened dirt track trying to confront Stewart during a race in upstate New York.Greg Zipadelli, competition director for Stewart-Haas Racing, said at a news conference that Stewart “feels strongly” about not racing Sunday following Kevin Ward Jr.’s fatal accident. The decision was an about-face for the organization, which had said when the track opened that Stewart would be behind the wheel of his No. 14 Chevrolet when the green flag waved.“We gave Tony some time to sleep on it. He feels strongly this is the right thing to do,” Zipadelli said. “All you can do is what you feel is right, and we feel this is right. We get through today and do it the best we can as a group.“He’s going through a tough time. It’s emotional for him.”Regan Smith will drive Stewart’s car instead.Ward had crashed following contact with Stewart one lap earlier and got out of his car as it was stopped along the fence. Video of the incident showed Ward walking from his crashed car onto the racing surface as cars circled by, and, as he gestured at Stewart’s passing car, he was struck.Authorities questioned Stewart but said no criminal charges were imminent. Stewart traveled to Watkins Glen International following police questioning.Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero said Stewart was “visibly shaken” and had been cooperative in the investigation. Authorities were asking spectators and others to turn over any video they recorded of the crash.“This is right now being investigated as an on-track crash and I don’t want to infer that there are criminal charges pending,” Povero said. “When the investigation is completed, we will sit down with the district attorney and review it. But I want to make it very clear: there are no criminal charges pending at this time.”A witness said it appeared Ward was trying to confront Stewart, the three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion. The video showed Ward standing to the right of Stewart’s familiar No. 14 car, which seemed to kick out from the rear and hit him.Moments earlier, Ward and Stewart were racing side-by-side for position as they exited a turn. Ward was on the outside when Stewart, on the bottom, seemed to slide toward Ward’s car and crowd him toward the wall. The rear tire of Stewart’s car appeared to clip the front tire of Ward’s car, and Ward spun into the fence.Povero said Ward, who was wearing a black firesuit and black helmet, had walked into the racing area and one car swerved to avoid him before he was struck by Stewart.“The next thing I could see, I didn’t see (the other driver) anymore,” witness Michael Messerly said. “It just seemed like he was suddenly gone.”A spokesman for Stewart’s racing team called Ward’s death a “tragic accident.”The dirt track, about 30 miles southeast of Rochester, canceled the remainder of the race and later posted a message on its Facebook page encouraging fans to “pray for the entire racing community of fans, drivers, and families.”Ward’s website said he began racing go-karts in 1998 at age 4, but didn’t start driving sprint cars until 2010. The 20-year-old from Port Leyden, New York, was Empire Super Sprint rookie of the year in 2012 and this year was his fifth season racing the Empire Super Sprints.Stewart often competes in extracurricular events like the race on Saturday. The multimillionaire is known to participate in races with purses worth less than $3,000 and drive alongside drivers of varying ages and talent levels.The crash Saturday came almost exactly a year after Stewart suffered a compound fracture to his right leg in a sprint car race in Iowa. The injury cost him the second half of the NASCAR season. Stewart only returned to sprint track racing last month, and won in his return, at Tri-City Motor Speedway in Michigan.But the broken leg cost him the entire second-half of last season and sidelined him during NASCAR’s important Chase for the Sprint Cup championship. Stewart wasn’t cleared to get back in a race car until February, the day the track opened for preparations for NASCAR’s season-opening Daytona 500 began.“Everybody has hobbies. Everybody has stuff they like to do when they have downtime, and that’s just what it is for me,” he said last month following his return to sprint car racing.  “That’s what I like to do when I have extra time. I don’t think there is anything wrong with doing it.  I feel like there are a lot of other things I could be doing that are a lot more dangerous and a lot bigger waste of time with my time off do than doing that.”Among Stewart’s many business interests is his ownership of Ohio dirt track Eldora Speedway, which last month hosted the NASCAR Truck Series, and his stake in Stewart-Haas Racing, which fields cars for Stewart, Kevin Harvick, Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick.He’s struggled a bit this year since returning from his leg injury, and heads into Sunday’s race winless on the season and ranked 19th in the standings.Stewart had been scheduled to start 13th on Sunday at Watkins Glen, one of just five remaining races for Stewart to either score a win or move inside the top 16 in points to grab a valuable spot in NASCAR’s Chase.The site of Saturday night’s crash is the same track where Stewart was involved in a July 2013 accident that seriously injured a 19-year-old driver. He later took responsibility for his car making contact with another and triggering the 15-car accident that left Alysha Ruggles with a compression fracture in her back.AP Auto Racing Writer Jenna Fryer and AP writer Mike Sisak contributed to this report.last_img read more