first_imgWindies almost bottom of Test table DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CMC): Lowly ranked West Indies have experienced an 11-point slide and are in danger of replacing Bangladesh at the bottom of the table in the ICC Test team rankings. Bangladesh are breathing down the necks of the West Indies Test side, trailing them by just eight points, according to the latest International Cricket Council (ICC) Test rankings, which included the annual update, released yesterday. West Indies have retained eighth position, but have dropped from 79 points to 65. The gap between the Caribbean side and ninth-ranked Bangladesh has been slashed from 29 points to just eight points. The ICC says with the annual update the results from 2012-13 are no longer included in the calculations and outcomes from the 2014-15 series are weighted at 50 per cent. Meanwhile, Australia have opened up a six-point gap over India at the top of the rankings, while India now lead third-placed Pakistan by just one point. Wade ‘honoured’ to be Prince’s favourite player MIAMI (AP): Dwyane Wade says he’s feeling “all kinds of emotions” after hearing that he was Prince’s favourite basketball player. The Miami Heat star took to Twitter after hearing Prince’s comments in a 2012 Australian radio interview the late pop icon conducted with model Damaris Lewis. Wade tweeted that he knows he has fans and supporters around the world, but “hearing Prince say those words was an ultimate compliment”. Prince died last month at his Minnesota home at the age of 57. Bahamas FA backs Haven against FIFA ban NASSAU, Bahamas (CMC): The Bahamas Football Association (BFA) has thrown its support behind Lionel Haven, a former executive member of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), who has been slapped with a five-year ban by FIFA, football’s governing body. “Lionel has worked with the BFA for a number of years,” Sealey said. “He was a dedicated and committed general secretary, who helped us achieve much of what we are being credited for today.” Haven, also a former Bahamas Football Association’s (BFA) secretary general who has denied any wrong doing, was slapped with a fine of US$3000 in addition to the five-year ban. FIFA’s ethics committee says Haven has failed to disclose information on cash payments at a CFU event in 2011. “We are confident and satisfied that his involvement in this, is as he stated,” said Sealey. “I spoke to him immediately after having reported it and I’m satisfied that he had no involvement in this and we stand behind him.” The ban stems from the so-called cash for votes controversy, in which Caribbean football executives were handed US$40,000 stuffed in envelopes at an upscale hotel in Trinidad ahead of the 2011 FIFA presidential election.last_img read more

first_imgA Mahaica, East Coast Demerara (ECD) family was on Saturday evening attacked and terrorised by five masked gunmen in a three-hour ordeal that ended when the bandits confiscated their cash and jewellery.Fruit vendor 56-year-old Lalawattie Basraj of Belmont, Mahaica, ECD, her husband Anand Basraj and their 15-year-old daughter Khenwattie Basraj, along with Nimawattie Deodat, are still traumatised by the ordeal.Based on reports received, the five armed men invaded the premises at about 19:50h while the occupants of the two-storey wooden-and-concrete house were in the lower flat of the building.The suspects reportedly gained entry onto the premises by scaling a fence. They then broke into the lower flat of the house and held the victims at gunpoint, binding the hands and feet of their victims before demanding cash and jewellery in a spree of terror.Farmer Anand Basraj attempted to put up a fight, but was instead dealt several blows to his head. Upon seeing this, his wife reportedly handed over about $400,000 in cash, along with cell phones, jewellery and a laptop computer to the armed men. Afterwards, the suspects made good their escape in an unknown direction.After realising that the men had left, the occupants managed to untie themselves and raise an alarm.The Police were also contacted. The injured farmer was taken to the hospital where he was treated for the injuries he sustained to his head.The police have launched an investigation into the incident, but no one has as yet been arrested.last_img read more

first_imgArmed, undercover federal air marshals have been deployed to Metrolink trains and stations as part of a trial program to use officers on ground transportation systems, officials said Wednesday. The TSA air marshals, K-9 crews and inspectors who are part of the Department of Homeland Security are being stationed at six cities across the nation to familiarize officers with local transit operations in the event of a terrorist threat or attack. “Should a crisis occur, we want to be able to deploy resources in a timely manner,” said Transportation Security Administration spokesman Nico Melendez. Melendez stressed there is no known security threat to Los Angeles and that the teams are being deployed merely as a test. She said this is the world we live in as a country at war, but added that a modest security enhancement should suffice. “Let’s not overdo it … because that puts fear in people,” she said. Teams of fewer than 10 people in each community are being deployed to train, bus and ferry systems in Los Angeles, Houston, Atlanta, Washington, Philadelphia and Baltimore. In Los Angeles, there are two undercover officers, as well as inspectors and K-9 units, deployed. The teams are expected to be deployed for three days between Tuesday and Sunday. Additionally, Los Angeles will be getting as many as six explosive-sniffing dogs through a separate TSA program to add canine teams to transportation systems nationwide. Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department Cmdr. Dan Finkelstein, who oversees Metrolink and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, welcomed the extra “eyes and ears” of the TSA marshals who have been working with his officers. “TSA has long been known for their role in airport security. They’re now branching out to surface transportation – buses and trains,” he said. “They’ve been just an extension of our staff and Sheriff’s Transit Services all along.” Burbank resident Paul Barrows, who rode Metrolink into downtown Los Angeles on Wednesday, questioned whether guarding the commuter rail line was the best use of resources. “I don’t have a problem with it. … I don’t think there’s a threat,” he said. But LaTonya Jones of Van Nuys, who rode Metrolink with her mother to a doctor’s appointment downtown, welcomed the extra protection, so long as officers act carefully. “I really think it’s a good idea; they can keep more (in touch with) what’s going on. … I do think they should be cautious or careful,” she said. Lisa Mascaro, (818) 713-3761 [email protected] 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORERose Parade grand marshal Rita Moreno talks New Year’s Day outfit and ‘West Side Story’ remake He could not say if TSA had plans to permanently staff air marshals on Los Angeles-area trains. “This is basically preparedness training,” said Metrolink spokeswoman Denise Tyrrell. “It’s to drill so we can see how quickly we can deploy these assets in an emergency.” Riders mostly welcomed the enhanced security even after a U.S. citizen was shot and killed last week during a confrontation with air marshals after the man claimed he had a bomb at the Miami airport. It was the first shooting by an air marshal since the program was expanded after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, according to reports. “It’s OK with me,” said Metrolink rider Elsa Belvel, a retiree at Union Station waiting for her train back to Palmdale. last_img read more

first_img(Eds: Repeating after making a correction in 2nd para) Jakarta, Aug 25 (PTI) India were today assured of two medals in the debut sport of bridge in the Asian Games after the men’s team and mixed team reached the semifinals here. After the qualification rounds, the men’s bridge team was placed fourth while the mixed team took the top spot. The men’s bridge team was placed fourth after playing 13 qualification rounds while the mixed team finished on top after seven qualification rounds. The top finishing team will play the fourth team while the second and third will take on each other in the semifinals. Both the losing semifinalists will win a bronze and India are assured of at least two bronze medals from bridge. The supermixed team, however, failed to qualify for the semifinals. The six-member men’s team comprised Jaggy Shivdasani, Rajeshwar Tewari, Ajay Khare, Raju Tolani, Debabrata Majumder and Sumit Mukherjee. The mixed team is made up of Kiran Nadar, Hema Deora, Himani Khandelwal, Bachiraju Satyanarayana, Gopinath Manna and Rajeev Khandelwal. The men’s team has an average age of 52 while the mixed team has 57. The sport of bridge has been introduced for the first time in the Asian Games. PTI PDS PDSPDSlast_img read more