first_img Reporters Without Borders (RSF) and the family of Guy-André Kieffer, a Franco-Canadian journalist who disappeared in Côte d’Ivoire in 2004, urge the Ivorian authorities to comply without further delay with the formal request they received a year ago from two French judges in charge of France’s investigation into his disappearance. Reports Côte d’IvoireAfrica to go further The Ivorian authorities have still not responded to the request sent on 23 February 2015 by the two French investigating judges, Cyril Paquaux and Gaëlle Beuf, who asked them to question several people including the former first lady and other former officials who could shed light on Kieffer’s fate.A French and Canadian dual national based in Abidjan, Kieffer was investigating shady practices in the production and export of cocoa when he was kidnapped on 16 April 2004. He has been missing ever since.The civil parties who are registered in the case, were briefed by Paquaux and Beuf on 3 February about the current state of the investigation. It was their first meeting with the judges since Paquaux was assigned to the case in 2014.The association Vérité pour Guy-André Kieffer joins RSF and the Kieffer family in urging the Ivorian authorities to act at once on the year-old request from the French judges.“President Alassane Ouattara has personally undertaken on several occasions to both Osange Silou-Kieffer and RSF to shed all possible light on Guy-André Kieffer’s disappearance,” said Clea Kahn-Sriber, the head of RSF’s Africa desk. “One of these occasions was during a meeting with RSF secretary-general Christophe Deloire in Abidjan in 2014.“Now that the Ivorian government is well established and stable, it is important to act on these promises and question the witnesses again. The Kieffer family, RSF and the association Vérité pour Guy-André Kieffer call on the authorities to comply as quickly as possible with the formal request from the French judges, so that they can advance the investigation, which has been stalled for several years.”Inter alia, the French judges have asked the Ivorian authorities to question former First Lady Simone Gbagbo, currently detained in Côte d’Ivoire, her former security chief, Anselme Yap Seka, also under judicial control, her brother-in-law, Michel Legré, and former Ivorian intelligence officer Jean Tony Oulaï.Côte d’Ivoire is ranked 86th out of 180 countries in the 2015 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index.For more information on the Kieffer case, click here. The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa RSF_en Côte d’IvoireAfrica Help by sharing this information November 27, 2020 Find out more News February 10, 2016 – Updated on March 8, 2016 RSF asks Côte d’Ivoire to comply with Kieffer case request from French judges October 29, 2020 Find out more News Follow the news on Côte d’Ivoire Organisation RSF’s recommendations for protecting press freedom during Côte d’Ivoire’s elections Threats against journalists in run-up to Côte d’Ivoire’s presidential election News Receive email alerts October 16, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

first_img BelarusEurope – Central Asia “We welcome opening of criminal investigation in Lithuania in response to our complaint against Lukashenko” RSF says RSF at the Belarusian border: “The terrorist is the one who jails journalists and intimidates the public” Help by sharing this information RSF_en Reporters Without Borders today hailed the announced reopening of the investigation into the October 2003 murder of journalist Alexei Sidorov but voiced concern that the local prosecutor’s office is still in charge of the case and reiterated its call for it to be transferred to the Russian Federation prosecutor-general.The reopening of the case was announced by Samara regional deputy prosecutor Evgeni Novojilov who, according to a report in the daily Izvestia on 14 February, said two new leads would be followed up that were unrelated to those previously pursued. He said one involved a well-known regional crime organization but he have no further details.While welcoming the reopening of the case as “positive” as far as it went, Reporters Without Borders said it again called on Russian Federation prosecutor-general Vladimir Ustinov “to personally take over the investigation in order to guarantee its transparency and objectivity.”The editor of the regional daily newspaper Toliattinskoye Obosrenie, Sidorov was stabbed by two men in the parking lot of his apartment building in the city of Togliatti on 9 October 2003 and died moments later in the arms of his wife. Aged 31, he had taken over as editor from Valery Ivanov, who had been murdered in similar circumstances on 29 April 2002.Before being named editor, Sidorov worked as an investigative journalist for the newspaper, and a few weeks before his death he had gone back to investigating organized crime.On 11 October 2004, local welder Evgeni Maininger was acquitted by a Togliatti court of Sidorov’s murder on the grounds of lack of proof. He had been accused of killing him in a street brawl. According to the official version, Maininger met Sidorov in the street by chance and asked for a loan to buy vodka. A fight broke out when Sidorov refused and Maininger allegedly stabbed him several times before fleeing and throwing away the murder weapon in a forest.After a fact-finding visit to Togliatti in October 2003, Reporters Without Borders expressed reserves about the quality of the investigation being conducted by the local prosecutor’s office. It was in October 2004 that Reporters Without Borders first asked Prosecutor-General Ustinov to take over the investigation on the grounds that the local prosecutor’s office was unsuited. News News to go further Follow the news on Belarus Receive email alerts May 28, 2021 Find out more June 2, 2021 Find out more News Organisation BelarusEurope – Central Asia In response to an announcement by the Samara regional deputy prosecutor that the investigation into the murderof journalist Alexei Sidorov is being reopened, Reporters Without Borders has reiterated its call for the caseto be transferred to the Russian Federation prosecutor-general. News May 27, 2021 Find out more February 18, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Sidorov case reopened but local prosecutor’s office still in charge Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown last_img read more

first_imgThe home’s swanky cinema room. The cellar at 17 Ningana St, Fig Tree Pocket, which was bought by Michael PalmerIt’s not the first house Mr Palmer has bought in the street, with the property investor purchasing 10 Ningana St for $1.85 million in early 2016.This is brings the number of properties Mr Palmer owns into double digits, at 10 residential addresses. The pool sits near the Brisbane River.That house was the former home of Linc Energy founder, Peter Bond, and its sale was second only to the suburb record of $8.25 million for 15 Ningana St, which was sold in 2014.The 17 Ningana St riverfront residence has luxury inclusions such as a 6000 bottle temperature controlled wine cellar, a gym, sauna, tennis court and pool.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus16 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market16 hours agoAnd the mansion that Clive Palmer bought at 36 Needham St, Fig Tree PocketThe majority of living is across a single level, with four bedrooms, four bathrooms and several swanky living areas.There is also a self-contained unit on a separate level, marketed as, “Ideal for the nanny, au-pair, grandparents or older child”. The property boasts a tennis/basketball court. 17 Ningana St, Fig Tree PocketMICHAEL Palmer, son of embattled businessman and politician Clive Palmer, has tacked on another property to his fast-expanding portfolio.Mr Palmer dropped an eye-watering $5.1 million dollars on 17 Ningana St at Fig Tree Pocket — the second highest sale in the suburb this year. The son of Clive Palmer has dropped $5.1 million on this Fig Tree Pocket houseThe most expensive property sold in Fig Tree Pocket this year was, in fact, bought by his father, with the purchase of 36 Needham St at $7.5 million. Inside the home.That includes two Sunshine Coast properties, three canal and oceanfront Paradise Point homes, and five Brisbane residences.Mr Palmer also co-owns a commercial property at Jandowae, about 300km west of Brisbane, with his sister Emily. The home’s grand entrance. The property’s grand study.last_img read more

first_imgStuff co.nz 1 April 2015Child, Youth and Family (CYF) is set for a major overhaul, with Social Development Minister Anne Tolley admitting that the department charged with protecting New Zealand’s most vulnerable citizens “must do better”.Tolley has announced the formation of a high-powered panel to lead the restructure, headed by senior public servant Paula Rebstock and joined by Police Commissioner Mike Bush.Also on the panel are chief science adviser to the Ministry of Social Development Richie Poulton, former Maori Party chief of staff Helen Leahy and Duncan Dunlop, chief executive of Who Cares? Scotland, an independent advocacy charity for young people.The panel will oversee the development and implementation of an operating model to modernise CYF and enhance its governance. It is expected to have a wide-ranging brief to consider all aspects of CYF operations.“For the sake of vulnerable children, we must do better, and we need a very clear strategy that focuses on the needs of children, rather than the needs of the system,” Tolley said.“New Zealand used to be a world leader in the field of child protection, but I believe we are now eight to 10 years behind in our thinking in some important areas, such as how we support children in state care.http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/67577125/cyf-in-line-for-major-overhaullast_img read more

first_imgNaomi Cowan (second left) at Kanye West’s October 18 Sunday Service concert at Emancipation Park in Kingston. From left is Jesse Royal, Carlene Davis, Jamaica’s Entertainment and Culture minister Olivia Grange, Kanye West and Tommy Cowan. KINGSTON, Jamaica – Hours before she headed to Emancipation Park in Kingston with her family for Kanye West’s Sunday Service show on October 18, singer Naomi Cowan heard of a shooting incident near her office, a five-minute walk from the venue.By that evening, her concern had given way to hope as she was in the massive crowd that watched the rapper and his gospel group turn in a mesmerizing performance.It was enough to wash her blues away.“All he’s doing is telling people to be fearless, telling them how to be creative,” said Cowan. “He was using contemporary sounds and R&B riffs but the message was so strong you could not help but be a part of it,” Cowan said.Cowan was accompanied to the event by her parents, veteran artist manager/producer Tommy Cowan and his wife, singer Carlene Davis. Several Jamaican gospel singers also attended, as did Jesse Royal, a key figure in the roots-reggae revival and the country’s entertainment and culture minister, Olivia “Babsy” Grange.The Kingston show was a pop up gig for the controversial West who recently embraced Christianity. He is currently promoting Jesus is King, his first gospel album, released in October.Cowan has done a handful of gospel songs but made her mark in 2018 with Paradise Plum, a catchy dance track that did well on regional charts in the United States.While her day started ominously, she credited West and his Sunday Service singers for making it worthwhile in the end.“I had a fantastic time and I’m so full of gratitude. I really was on Cloud Nine and so thankful for life,” she said.West has held several Sunday Service shows in the US since its launch in January. His Jamaican leg was not without incident, as Grange issued a statement ordering the rapper to stop selling merchandise bearing Jamaica’s national emblem.last_img read more

first_imgA woman was arrested for leaving a $5,000 tip at a Clearwater restaurant on her boyfriend’s credit card following an argument.Serina Wolfe, 24, was reportedly displeased with her boyfriend Michael Crane after he refused to buy her a plane ticket back home to New York, and a waitress of the Clear Sky Cafe reaped the benefits.Police say Crane put a hold on his credit card, but when he removed it, Wolfe made a $5,055.37 purchase at the Clear Sky Cafe.The cafe was notified about the fraudulent purchase but said the waitress had already been paid for the amount of the tip.Wolfe was arrested Monday on a $1,000 bond.As of July 3, she remains behind bars and is awaiting trial.last_img

first_imgWindies almost bottom of Test table DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CMC): Lowly ranked West Indies have experienced an 11-point slide and are in danger of replacing Bangladesh at the bottom of the table in the ICC Test team rankings. Bangladesh are breathing down the necks of the West Indies Test side, trailing them by just eight points, according to the latest International Cricket Council (ICC) Test rankings, which included the annual update, released yesterday. West Indies have retained eighth position, but have dropped from 79 points to 65. The gap between the Caribbean side and ninth-ranked Bangladesh has been slashed from 29 points to just eight points. The ICC says with the annual update the results from 2012-13 are no longer included in the calculations and outcomes from the 2014-15 series are weighted at 50 per cent. Meanwhile, Australia have opened up a six-point gap over India at the top of the rankings, while India now lead third-placed Pakistan by just one point. Wade ‘honoured’ to be Prince’s favourite player MIAMI (AP): Dwyane Wade says he’s feeling “all kinds of emotions” after hearing that he was Prince’s favourite basketball player. The Miami Heat star took to Twitter after hearing Prince’s comments in a 2012 Australian radio interview the late pop icon conducted with model Damaris Lewis. Wade tweeted that he knows he has fans and supporters around the world, but “hearing Prince say those words was an ultimate compliment”. Prince died last month at his Minnesota home at the age of 57. Bahamas FA backs Haven against FIFA ban NASSAU, Bahamas (CMC): The Bahamas Football Association (BFA) has thrown its support behind Lionel Haven, a former executive member of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), who has been slapped with a five-year ban by FIFA, football’s governing body. “Lionel has worked with the BFA for a number of years,” Sealey said. “He was a dedicated and committed general secretary, who helped us achieve much of what we are being credited for today.” Haven, also a former Bahamas Football Association’s (BFA) secretary general who has denied any wrong doing, was slapped with a fine of US$3000 in addition to the five-year ban. FIFA’s ethics committee says Haven has failed to disclose information on cash payments at a CFU event in 2011. “We are confident and satisfied that his involvement in this, is as he stated,” said Sealey. “I spoke to him immediately after having reported it and I’m satisfied that he had no involvement in this and we stand behind him.” The ban stems from the so-called cash for votes controversy, in which Caribbean football executives were handed US$40,000 stuffed in envelopes at an upscale hotel in Trinidad ahead of the 2011 FIFA presidential election.last_img read more