first_imgMOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Families in US enclave in north Mexico hold sad Thanksgiving “At this point in my career, I’m looking to be happy, and play in the proper weeks, whether No. 1 or No. 5 in the rankings.”Top seed Nadal will start as the favourite to win in Mexico this week, where he also won in 2005 and 2013. Nadal meanwhile said he has fully recovered from the right leg injury that scuppered his Australian Open campaign.“I took a couple of weeks of rest and worked hard on rehabilitation,” he said. “Last week I started practising hard again. I feel ready. Injuries are part of my career. It’s not the first time.“Of course it’s tough, especially at this point when you feel ready to compete well.ADVERTISEMENT Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university PLAY LIST 01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City LATEST STORIES AFP official booed out of forum Jr. NBA draws record crowd in Butuan selection camp Pussycat Dolls set for reunion tour after 10-year hiatus LOOK: Iya Villania meets ‘Jumanji: The Next Level’ cast in Mexico Read Next Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Spain’s Rafael Nadal challenges a line call as he plays Victor Estrella Burgos of the Dominican Republic during their first round match at the Australian Open tennis championships in Melbourne, Australia, Monday, Jan. 15, 2018. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)Rafael Nadal says he will not be thinking about reclaiming his world number one ranking when he makes his return from injury at the Mexico Open in Acapulco on Tuesday.The 31-year-old Spanish star will play his first match since limping out of the quarter-finals at the Australian Open when he faces Feliciano Lopez. ADVERTISEMENT “For me it was a good chance to be fighting for an important title in Australia. But it happened and I can’t complain.” Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Google honors food scientist, banana ketchup inventor and war hero Maria Orosa Following his exit in Melbourne last month, Nadal has ceded his number one ranking to Roger Federer, who became the oldest player to claim top spot on February 19.While a victory this week would not be good enough to overhaul Federer, it would leave Nadal primed to replace the Swiss star at Indian Wells or Miami next month.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutNadal however insists he is not motivated by a desire to reclaim the position from his long-time rival.“I play this tournament because I like it and, not because I’m trying to be number one in the world,” Nadal said. View commentslast_img read more

first_imgDenied a chance to hold the India-England World Cup encounter at the historic Eden Gardens by the International Cricket Council (ICC) on grounds of unfinished renovation work, the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) has finally got its due.With the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announcing the itinerary for England and West Indies’ tour of India during the months of October and November, Eden is set to hold three international matches.While it will hold a T20 International and a One-Day International during the England leg of the tour on October 13 and 28 respectively, Eden will host the second Test between India and West Indies between November 14 and 18.Relieved by the decision of the BCCI’s Tour, Programme and Fixtures Committee, CAB president Jagmohan Dalmiya said that justice had finally been served and he was thankful to the BCCI for keeping their word.”Justice has been served. We at CAB welcome BCCI’s decision to allot us three matches. We are fully prepared to host these matches. After ICC cold shouldered us during the World Cup, this comes as a breath of fresh air.CAB president Jagmohan Dalmiya.Stripping Eden of the India-England match was a decision that surprised not only us at the CAB, but also quite a few BCCI officials,” Dalmiya told MAIL TODAY.”I am thankful to the board for also allotting us a Test match when West Indies arrive in November. Not only us, but the fans have been waiting with baited breath to watch India play here and they will definitely have a feast come October and November.”advertisementExpressing his anguish on ICC’s decision to move the World Cup match to Bangalore, Dalmiya said: “The BCCI realised that it was harsh to take such stern steps when we had promised that we would complete all renovation work well in time for the (World Cup) match. All we had asked was for an extension of deadline and a clear picture as to what ICC actually wanted.”When I wrote to ICC CEO Haroon Lorgat after the world body’s January 25 inspection, while on one hand he replied there was splendid improvement in the level of work on the other he said that a few logistic issues could come up. Not for once did anyone provide a clear picture,” Dalmiya said.”While the ICC said on January 30 that there was no logic behind increasing our deadline – even though they increased it for the Wankhede Stadium – as we could never finish the amount of work left, on February 7, they gave us a green signal saying we are ready to stage the remaining matches. If this isn’t whimsical, what is?”But Dalmiya says he had nothing against the BCCI as they were helpless and the fact that the board kept its promise of allotting the Mecca of Indian cricket international matches soon, proved that the Board realised Eden deserved better treatment.”I got in touch with N Srinivasan (BCCI secretary) and Shashank Manohar (BCCI president) and told them that the ICC was misbehaving and that if they didn’t look into the matter, I would have to take the matter to court.Although they couldn’t help in re-allotting the India-England match, they had formally promised me that they would allot us an ODI and a T20 match when England tour India.”They agreed that ICC’s behaviour was unjustified and apologised and added that the fans shouldn’t have been robbed of an opportunity to watch the Indian stars in action. And they have kept their promise,” he said.CAB joint secretary Biswarup Dey feels that although the association is elated at the board’s decision, it is the fans who are the real winners.”We are definitely ecstatic that the board has decided to award us three international matches. But more than us, I feel it is the cricket crazy fans in Kolkata who are the real winners. They were unjustly deprived of a chance to witness the Indian team in action during the World Cup and now they have an opportunity to watch them during the England and West Indies series.”Considering that a South Africa- Ireland match had more than 30,000 spectators, I can assure you that the three matches will be sold out. Bringing in the crowd has never been an issue at the Eden and it shall never be,” he told MAIL TODAY.”We are working on completion of the roof work and we shall be ready well in time for the matches.”last_img read more