Tokyo: Japan on Monday hailed a fairytale finish for Hinako Shibuno, the 20-year-old golf sensation known as ‘Smiling Cinderella’ who was crowned the surprise winner at the British Open. “She did it,” said TV presenter Tomoaki Ogura after Shibuno, in her debut tournament overseas, became Japan’s first Major-winner in 42 years. “Who expected she could do this much in her first competition abroad, a Major championship,” he said in his morning show on a private TV network. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over ChandigarhShibuno’s win at her first Major dominated morning television shows in Japan on Monday, topping news items. The story broke too late for the front pages of Japan’s newspapers, but was splashed across their websites. Despite the huge popularity of golf in Japan, only one Japanese player — male or female — had previously won a Major: Chako Higuchi at the 1977 Women’s PGA Championship. Social media was abuzz with congratulations for the 20-year-old Shibuno, who only turned pro last year. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced later”A star is born,” tweeted one Japanese user. “A historic achievement,” another wrote. On Japanese television, Higuchi said Shibuno looked as “relaxed” as if she were playing in Japan. “She is a new kind of player,” the Daily Sports newspaper quoted Higuchi as saying. Shibuno hit a gutsy 18-foot birdie putt at the final hole to seal victory at Woburn on Sunday, finishing with a 68 and 18-under-par as she beat American Lizette Salas by a single stroke.
Gaza City: Hamas said Wednesday that two overnight bombings killed three Palestinian police officers in the Gaza Strip in what witnesses called suicide attacks as the Palestinian enclave was placed under a state of alert. Witnesses told AFP that both bombings were suicide attacks by assailants on motorbikes, but there was no official confirmation. A source familiar with the investigation said a Salafist movement in Gaza, which is run by Islamist movement Hamas, that sympathises with the Islamic State jihadist group was suspected. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USHamas’s interior ministry confirmed the three deaths, but spoke only of two “bombings” in Gaza City without providing details. It said two of the police officers were 32 and the third was 45. Two separate police checkpoints were targeted, it said. An investigation was underway as authorities pledged to track down the “masterminds”. New police checkpoints were set up in Gaza City. Hamas leader Ismail Haniya sought to reassure Palestinians in the enclave of two million people. “We assure our people that whatever these explosions are, they will be brought under control as with every previous event, and Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollswill not be able to undermine the stability and steadfastness of our people,” he said in a statement. Hundreds gathered for funerals for the three police officers. Suicide bombings are rare in the Gaza Strip. In August 2017, a suicide bomber killed a Hamas guard in southern Gaza on the border with Egypt. Hamas has run the Gaza Strip since 2007 but has been regularly criticised by more radical Salafist groups in the impoverished, Israeli-blockaded coastal territory. The Israeli military said it had not carried out any air raids at the time of the latest bombings. The bombings come at a sensitive time. Israel and Hamas have fought three wars since 2008 and tensions have again risen in recent weeks ahead of Israel’s September 17 elections.