The province is making the future of energy-efficient street lighting brighter by supporting an innovative Nova Scotia-based technology firm. Economic and Rural Development Minister Percy Paris announced today, March 30, that the province will provide LED Roadway Lighting Ltd. with a $10-million loan guarantee from the Industrial Expansion Fund. “This loan guarantee will help a promising leader in clean technology take its business to the next level,” said Mr. Paris. “Growing businesses and allowing them to pursue lucrative export opportunities is an essential part of jobsHere, the plan to create jobs and grow the economy.” In addition, LED Roadway Lighting’s founder Charles Cartmill will invest another $3.2 million in the company. “LED Roadway Lighting is well positioned to become an international leader in a $500-billion global industry,” said Mr. Cartmill. “Through the province’s support, we will be able to capitalize on our current contracts, and continue our expansion plans.” LED Roadway Lighting manufacturers innovative streetlight fixtures that use 60 per cent less energy than traditional fixtures. With a manufacturing facility in Amherst, and research and development and executive offices in Halifax, the company employs more than 100 people and expects to more than triple that by 2014. The Industrial Expansion Fund is one method the province uses to support economic development in all regions of Nova Scotia. It helps industries involved in innovative research and technology and contributes to a prosperous, sustainable business climate for Nova Scotia.
Mr Proctor, who lost his home and job as a result of the damage to his reputation, is suing the Metropolitan Police for up to £500,000.Nick faces possible prosecution for perverting the course of justice and fraud, after he claimed tens of thousands of pounds from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority for his alleged ordeal. Northumbria Police passed a file to the Crown Prosecution Service last September but no decision on whether he will be charged is expected before the summer. The alleged fantasist who sparked the Westminster child abuse scandal has been sacked from his role as a school governor after being charged with paedophile offences.The man, who can only be identified as Nick, set off a £3 million police investigation after telling detectives he had been raped and abused by a group of powerful figures including prominent politicians. But he has been accused of making the whole thing up and is facing possible charges for perverting the course of justice.Earlier this week it was revealed he had been charged with numerous paedophile offences after indecent images of children were found on a computer.A spokesman for the school where he had been a governor for a number of years confirmed that as a result of the charges he had now been sacked.The spokesman said he was “deeply saddened”, but added that none of the allegations “relate to the position he held as a governor within this school”. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. The paedophile charges he is facing relate to allegations of downloading and possessing hundreds of indecent images of children. He is also facing a charge of voyeurism. He is due to stand trial later this year, when he is expected to deny all the charges.His sacking as a school governor is the latest twist in the saga that dates back to 2014, when he made a series of allegations to Scotland Yard about a so-called Westminster paedophile ring. Nick told detectives that the men had raped, tortured and even murdered young boys during a number of depraved sex parties held in flats in Dolphin Square close to Parliament.Among those he named were Sir Edward Heath, the former prime minister; Lord Brittan, the former home secretary; Field Marshal Lord Bramall, the former head of the Army, and Harvey Proctor, the former Tory MP.Scotland Yard described Nick’s allegations as “credible and true” and launched Operation Midland. Lady Brittan – whose husband Lord Brittain (pictured) died without knowing that his name had been clearedCredit:Chris Jackson/PA As a complainant of sex abuse, Nick enjoys lifelong anonymity, even though he is currently being investigated for allegedly inventing the claims he has made.This means the school where he was a governor can also not be named. Show more Detectives questioned some of the accused under caution and also raided their homes. But after 18 months the investigation was closed down without a single arrest and Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, now Lord Hogan-Howe, the then Metropolitan Police Commissioner, apologised to those affected.Lord Bramall and Lady Brittan – whose husband died without knowing that his name had been cleared – later received £100,000 in compensation.