Two of the passengers, Sinitta and Beverley, told the BBC there was a fire after the collision.”The train stopped suddenly and then people started screaming,” they said. “Then we saw the fire so we moved up the train, and they evacuated the train.”In a statement released after the collision the British Transport Police said that the Rail Accident Investigation Branch had been notified of the incident.The Rail Accident Investigation Branch is a specialised government agency that works with the Department for Transport and independently investigates railway accidents. The victims were aged 15 and 72Credit:Eddie Mitchell The line was closed after the crashCredit:Peter Macdiarmid/LNP The line between Horsham and Pulborough was closed to allow officers from the British Transport Police and Sussex Police to investigate the crash .Paramedics also attended the scene.British Transport Police Detective Inspector Brett Walker said: “This is an extremely tragic incident and our thoughts are with the family at this difficult time.”Our officers have been working at the scene, and will continue to do so for the rest of the day, to ensure we gain as much information about how the collision happened.”People should expect some disruption to services in the area while we investigate. I would like to thank the community in Barns Green for their support and patience.” Around a hundred train passengers were taken to the nearby Sumners Ponds campsite after the collision. They were given hot drinks until rail replacement buses arrived. A 15-year-old boy and his grandfather have died after a train hit the car the were travelling in at a level crossing in West Sussex.Emergency services were called to the Barns Green level crossing at 8.47am Saturday morning and declared both the driver and the passenger dead at the scene. No one on the train was reported injured.It is believed the victims were travelling to a football match.Images of the wreckage show that the blue car was split into several parts when it was hit by the train. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.
BHP Billiton President Iron Ore, Jimmy Wilson, has announced plans to cut unit costs at Western Australia Iron Ore (WAIO) by at least 25% and the potential to increase capacity there by 65 Mt/y at a very low capital cost. Wilson outlined BHP Billiton’s view of the long-term supply and demand trends in the iron ore market. “We continue to see healthy demand growth for iron ore in the mid-term as Chinese steel production is expected to increase by approximately 25% to between 1.0 and 1.1 billion tonnes in the early to mid-2020s,” he said. “Meanwhile, steel production growth in other emerging economies is outpacing China as those nations urbanise and industrialise. We expect to see a compound annual growth rate for global steel production of between 2.5 and 3.0% between now and 2030.“Unsurprisingly, high prices over the last decade created the incentives needed for new entrants to join the market and traditional producers to substantially increase supply. As a result, growth in seaborne supply is expected to exceed growth in demand over the short to medium term. In anticipation of this transition, we turned our focus from major supply chain investment to productivity, cost reduction and capital efficient growth more than two years ago.”Wilson highlighted the quality and footprint of the WAIO operations which consist of the four main joint ventures Mt Newman, Yandi, Mt Goldsworthy and Jimblebar. “We have the strongest resource position in Western Australia and the quality of our orebodies will help us sustain strong margins over the long term. We have already significantly cut the cost of production at WAIO and plan to go further,” he said.“We expect unit cash costs of less than $20/t in the medium term, a reduction of more than 25% on the average achieved in the 2014 financial year. “Our reserves are concentrated around our four major mining hubs which will support a lower level of sustaining capital expenditure than required by our peers. With annual sustaining capex of approximately $5/t over the next five years, we aim to be the lowest cost supplier to China on an all-in cash basis.”Wilson also said BHP Billiton could add 65 Mt of capacity at WAIO at a capital intensity of some $30 per annual tonne, taking total system capacity from 225 Mt/y to 290 Mt/y by the end of the 2017 financial year.“The economics of further increasing our production are compelling. We completed our major supply chain investments some time ago and have since focused on using BHP Billiton’s benchmarking systems to improve the performance of our equipment by systematically tackling the bottlenecks,” he said. “We now expect to increase WAIO mine capacity to 275 Mt/y without the need for additional fixed plant investment. Beyond that, the Inner Harbour Debottlenecking and Jimblebar Phase 2 projects will help us to reach 290 Mt/y of supply chain capacity at low capital cost.”