Alberta regulator says Nexen Energy can resume more oilsands pipeline operations by The Canadian Press Posted Sep 17, 2015 11:08 am MDT Last Updated Sep 17, 2015 at 12:00 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email CALGARY – Alberta’s energy regulator says Nexen Energy can resume more oilsands operations after it was forced to shutdown pipelines for not complying with maintenance and monitoring rules.Last month the company, a subsidiary of Chinese state-owned CNOOC Ltd., was ordered to cease operating 95 pipelines.The suspensions came as the regulator was investigating a July 15 pipeline spill at Nexen’s Long Lake operation that leaked about five million litres of bitumen, produced water and sand into muskeg.The regulator says on Sept. 6 it lifted most of the suspension order and on Wednesday lifted the order on another 10 production pipelines.But it says some pipeline operations remain suspended and will not be allowed to return to service until Nexen can show they can be operated safely.Nexen says it is committed to managing its operations in a safe, environmentally and socially responsible manner.The regulator says Nexen could still face penalties including prosecution depending on the results of an ongoing investigation. read more

Over the weekend, fighting between Nigeria’s military and Islamic extremists caused the deaths of at least 185 people in the northeastern town of Baga, media sources have reported.“The Secretary-General reiterates his firm conviction that no objective sought can justify this resort to violence,” Mr. Ban’s spokesperson said in a statement. “He expresses his condolences to the bereaved families and calls on all extremist groups to cease their attacks.”Violence fuelled by sectarian motives is not uncommon in Nigeria where the Islamist group, Boko Haram, has frequently resorted to targeting civilians. Last year, over 100 people were killed when the radical group attacked churches in Kaduna State, drawing widespread condemnation from the UN. Mr. Ban “underscores the need for all concerned to full respect human rights and safeguard the lives of civilians,” the Secretary-General’s statement added. read more