first_img -30- Trunk 3 at the Head of St. Margarets Bay was closed Tuesday morning because of concerns about a bridge. It was reopened at 5 p.m. after repairs. Around 20 roads remain closed, but waters are receding and it is hoped more roads will reopen today. Nova Scotians are asked to continue to monitor traffic advisories. Nova Scotia Power reports that water levels and flow rates in NSP hydro systems are stabilizing. Levels at the Vaughn Lake Dam fell slightly overnight, with greater reductions upstream. NSP says water levels may not peak until a couple of days after the rainfall has ended. NSP crews will remain on site at all dams until water levels return to normal. Data about water levels at Environment Canada monitoring stations can be found at . There is no rain forecast today in affected western areas and Environment Canada reports that little rain is expected for the remainder of the week in the region. Total rainfall has amounted to between 140 mm at Kentville and the Halifax airport to 215 mm in the Quinan and Argyle areas to possibly as high as 250 mm between Kejimkujik National Park and Yarmouth. States of local emergency continue in parts of Argyle, Barrington, and Yarmouth to facilitate any needed evacuations, although at this time none are planned. Fewer residences than expected have taken part in voluntary evacuations. About 70 evacuations have taken place in Quinan, for bridge washouts, downstream of the Vaughn and Carleton dams in Yarmouth County, and in Barrington. Other residents in the areas have been warned of the risks but have decided to stay. Provincial government departments continue to assess their areas of responsibility to ensure the needs of Nova Scotians are being met in areas such as information on public safety and well water. The Department of Agriculture is looking at issues surrounding stranded farm animals and making plans to provide support as needed to farmers along the Annapolis River and the St. Mary’s River and in Quinan, where there is a fox farm. As a safety precaution, the Department of Natural Resources is closing trails on the abandoned rail corridor in the province’s seven western counties: Lunenburg; Queens; Shelburne; Yarmouth; Digby; Annapolis; and Kings. Because of the significant amount of rainfall in the past few days, bridges, culverts and the corridor are in danger of structural damage. Premier Darrell Dexter is visiting southwest Nova Scotia today, Nov. 10, for a first-hand look at the flood damage. The premier will get an aerial view of rivers and flooded areas. He will also visit emergency operations centers in Yarmouth and Argyle, and will speak with community leaders. The most significant change in the flood situation was the loss of a bridge last night on Trunk 3 on the Tusket River. Traffic must detour onto Highway 103 for three or four kilometres before getting back on Trunk 3. The weather and flooding situation has remained stable, with low rainfall, some receding water in key rivers and no new evacuations ordered. A few more families were evacuated from the Raynardton area of Yarmouth County Tuesday, where possible flooding from the Vaughn Lake Dam, also called the Tusket Falls Main Dam, remains a concern. Four families who left their homes Sunday with concerns about the Carleton dam will be allowed to return to their homes today. Updated information this morning included: last_img read more

first_imgTwo of the passengers, Sinitta and Beverley, told the BBC there was a fire after the collision.”The train stopped suddenly and then people started screaming,” they said. “Then we saw the fire so we moved up the train, and they evacuated the train.”In a statement released after the collision the British Transport Police said that the Rail Accident Investigation Branch had been notified of the incident.The Rail Accident Investigation Branch is a specialised government agency that works with the Department for Transport and independently investigates railway accidents. Scene of fatal level crossing crash The victims were aged 15 and 72Credit:Eddie Mitchell The line was closed after the crashCredit:Peter Macdiarmid/LNP The line between Horsham and Pulborough was closed to allow officers from the British Transport Police and Sussex Police to investigate the crash .Paramedics also attended the scene.British Transport Police Detective Inspector Brett Walker said: “This is an extremely tragic incident and our thoughts are with the family at this difficult time.”Our officers have been working at the scene, and will continue to do so for the rest of the day, to ensure we gain as much information about how the collision happened.”People should expect some disruption to services in the area while we investigate. I would like to thank the community in Barns Green for their support and patience.” Train at scene of level crossing crash Around a hundred train passengers were taken to the nearby Sumners Ponds campsite after the collision. They were given hot drinks until rail replacement buses arrived.  A 15-year-old boy and his grandfather have died after a train hit the car the were travelling in at a level crossing in West Sussex.Emergency services were called to the Barns Green level crossing at 8.47am Saturday morning and declared both the driver and the passenger dead at the scene. No one on the train was reported injured.It is believed the victims were travelling to a football match.Images of the wreckage show that the blue car was split into several parts when it was hit by the train. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings.last_img read more

first_imgA MAN IN his twenties is due to appear in court this morning charged in connection with an incident in which three people were stabbed at a GAA club in Kildare.The incident happened at the clubhouse of Rathcoffey GAA at about 2am in the early hours of Sunday morning.Two men and a woman, also understood to be in their 20s, were all taken to Naas General Hospital with injuries that are not thought to be life threatening.The man was arrested at the scene by gardaí based out of Clane Garda Station and has been held ahead of this morning’s court appearance.Read: Man and woman charged with early-morning Ranelagh assault to face court today >Read: Man injured after shooting at west Dublin house >last_img